Monday, June 25, 2012

Learning Curve

Last week as I prepared a lesson for the Summer SaLT (Servant and Leadership Training) class at Preston Taylor Ministries, my mom said something that gave me a new perspective on my role this summer, but also applies to many situations I will encounter later in life.  She said "I've found that teachers learn their own material much better than students ever can.  Teaching is the best way to learn."  As I examined this statement and compared it to my experiences thus far at PTM, I agree with her.

Last week, for example, I taught lessons based on the theme of conflict resolution.  I organized discussions, activities, and at the end of the week, a survey that helps the subject understand their style of conflict resolution based on their personality.  In the process, I gained knowledge about conflict resolution myself.  I even took the survey along with the kids and learned my style of conflict resolution.  Not only have I grasped a greater understanding of what I taught, but I've also gained an appreciation for what my teachers do everyday at school.  It is not an easy job, and I am thankful for this experience that has shown me that.

1 comment:

  1. David, your conflict resolution training sounds interesting, especially insofar as the resolution method depends upon one's own personality type. Your mother's advice (that the best way to learn something is to teach it) is quite true, which is one reason why teachers assign projects--like the independent reading project you did in my class. It also sounds like the bonds you are making will nourish you for years to come. I'm glad to hear that Audrey came back, and it sounds like you will do the same next year. --Mr. Kaiser

    ReplyDelete