Sunday, June 10, 2012

Forming Relationships

This week was my first one on the job, as well as the first week of Preston Taylor Ministries' summer program. Because this is the first week I would be working with the kids, it was a crucial time to begin developing relationships and forming bonds.  It was challenging, but also very rewarding.  This summer I am co-leading a class for rising 6th graders called Summer SaLT, or Servant and Leadership Training.  Because my role with the kids is as a teacher and mentor, as well as a friend, I also had to establish my authority within the classroom setting.  It was quite a balancing act, being strong and authoritative while also being humble and caring.  Nevertheless, by the end of the week, I felt very optimistic about the rest of the summer.  The kids are all great,   and even insisted on individually signing the cast on my broken wrist.  By Friday, several of the kids even gave me hugs before they left for the weekend.  I am so blessed to not only have such great co-workers and supervisors, but also to be forming relationships with the kids of the Preston Taylor neighborhood.

Furthermore, the exchange is not one sided.  These kids have taught me a few things as well.  Already, I have learned the importance of self-confidence.  These children will not take you seriously until you take yourself seriously.  They have also shown me the importance of having fun!  Sometimes you just have to throw the lesson plan out the window and go outside to play in order to refocus.  Finally, I have been exposed to a situation where someone depends on my efforts.  This accountability is very strong motivation to go home every night and come back the next day with a beneficial lesson plan and schedule, as well as the right attitude to make the most of the time I am with them.

Overall, this first week was amazing.  It felt like it flew by, but at the same time, it now feels like I have known these kids for years.  I only hope that I continue to develop the relationships that have begun to form, and that I am able to be a positive influence in the lives of these kids.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your recognition that there are many things to balance in your new role. Thanks for taking your role seriously and being open to all there is to learn as you teach/mentor. Like you, I am confident it is going to be a great summer! :)

    ReplyDelete