Monday, August 6, 2012

Final Reflections

It has been a while since I've been able to share more about my PTM experience, but hopefully this will give you some insight as to the final weeks of my summer internship and its impact on me as a whole.  I actually finished my fellowship on July 13th, but I have been very busy since then.  My last week at Preston Taylor Ministries was a blur.  It sped by so quickly that I barely had time to realize I was leaving before I was gone.  Nevertheless, that week was just as rewarding and fun as the other weeks, and it helped me realize how blessed I am to have been able to spend my summer there.

Preston Taylor Ministries has two different branches.  One is the main PTM building where the younger kids (through 6th grade) spend their time during the summer.  The other is called the Calvin House, which is a program PTM has developed in partnership with St. Andrews Presbyterian Church.  Calvin House serves the older group of PTM students (grades 7 through 12).  The 6th graders I worked with all summer had the privilege of spending this week with the Calvin House, instead of their regular routine in the main PTM building.  It was so encouraging to meet some of these older kids and see what an impact PTM has on these kids' lives in the long run.  They were all extremely welcoming and friendly, and had no problem including the young 6th graders in their activities.  I felt blessed to experience so much of PTM  in such a short time this summer, and this was a great way for me to close out my internship.

Another high point of this last week was on Thursday the 12th when we took the Summer SaLT class on a field trip to tour a hospital.  My dad actually knows the CEO of Nashville General Hospital at Meharry, and was able to put me in contact with their staff.  I got to plan the trip and organize the logistics, and seeing that come to fruition was very fulfilling.  It was a rainy and dreary day, but the hospital tour was exciting and entertaining, finished off with lunch in the cafeteria.  Needless to say, the kids immensely enjoyed the pizza and cookies they were served during the trip.  This trip, coupled with the fun activities at the Calvin House, made for an amazing final week of my Turner Fellowship.

My last day at PTM was also very memorable, and once again reminds me what an amazing opportunity I had this summer.  At the end of the day, before all the kids went home, the director of PTM and my co-worker put together a little send-off, and the kids gave me a card with all their names signed on it.  I was full of conflicting emotions, extremely thankful and happy about my time spent there this summer, but also sad that it was over.  I don't think I could have asked for a better environment and group of people and students to work with, and I'd like to thank FRA and the Turner family for providing me with such an amazing experience.

The next day, I left for New York City with my church youth group on a mission trip.  It was an intense week of service, fellowship, and spiritual growth, a perfect continuation of my time at PTM.  The reason I mention this week after my fellowship is to show how immediately my time at PTM influenced my life outside of the Turner Fellowship.  One aspect of the trip that I felt a little apprehensive towards at first was the task of talking to complete strangers.  Many times throughout the week we were given opportunities to serve random people throughout New York, whether it was handing out food, working in a soup kitchen, or praying with someone we passed on the sidewalk.  It was difficult to feel comfortable doing this, and I know that the work I did at PTM helped prepare me in confidence for this task.  Finally, one day in particular we went to a kids summer camp at a church in New York and spent the afternoon helping out and being with the kids.  This experience was absolutely what I was ready for, what I'd done all summer, as a result of the Turner Fellowship.  I was right at home with the kids, and felt like I was right back at PTM.  It was so cool to see how applicable all the lessons I learned at PTM are to each day we are given.  Before this summer, that experience at the New York kids camp would have been a little weird to me.  It would not have been my favorite, and I would not have felt as comfortable or helpful.  Preston Taylor Ministries changed that, and I am so thankful for what this summer has meant in my life.

Lastly, I want to thank Preston Taylor Ministries for allowing me to come in and work there this summer.  I want to thank Chan and Sarah for always being encouraging and making me feel useful, for having patience when I goofed up, and for showing me what it truly means to serve others selflessly.  Many thanks also to Megan, Josh, Claire, Joel and the Preston Taylor Community.  All the people I worked with this summer were absolutely amazing, and that is really what made this internship so enjoyable.  It was a life changing experience, and I won't ever take it for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment